Main Article Content
One of many ways to decrease the morbidity and mortality rates on elderly hemodialysis patients is by decreasing their anxiety level on therapy sessions by family support. This research’s purpose is to find out the effect of family support on the elderly hemodialysis patients’ anxiety levels. The participants were 50 elderly hemodialysis patients. This research used a cross-sectional design. The questionnaire was adopted from House’s theory, the anxiety level was measured with Self-Rating Anxiety Scale (SAS), and ordinal regression was used for statistical analysis. The results showed that there was a significant correlation between family support and elderly hemodialysis patients’ anxiety level (P=0.026). The absence of family support affected the anxiety level from mild to moderate range. Patients without family support had 4,4 times higher chance to get mild to moderate anxiety than those with family support. Patients with chronic kidney failure who are under hemodialysis therapy treatment and having family support can increase their quality of life.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
2. Fraser SD, Blakeman T (2016) Chronic kidney disease: identification and management in primary care. Pragmatic Obs. Res. 7: 21–32.
3. Leung DKC (2003) Psychosocial aspects in renal patients. Perit. Dial. Int. 23 (2): S90–S94
4. Vadakedath S, Kandi V (2017) Dialysis: A Review of the Mechanisms Underlying Complications in the Management of Chronic Renal Failure. Cureus 9 (8): e1603–e1603.
5. Patel SS, Kimmel PL, Singh A (2002) New Clinical Practice Guidelines for Chronic Kidney Disease: A Framework for K/DOQI. Semin. Nephrol. 22 (6): 449–458.
6. Inker LA et al. (2014) KDOQI US commentary on the 2012 KDIGO clinical practice guideline for the evaluation and management of CKD. Am. J. Kidney Dis. 63 (5): 713–735.
7. Kementrian Kesehatan RI (2017) InfoDATIN, 1st ed. Jakarta: Kementrian Kesehatan RI.
8. Anusha M, Gari H, Rathinavelu M, Gari AH (2017) Acute complications associated with haemodialysis in a CKD cohort population. Indian Journal of Pharmacy Practice 10 (2): 1-10. doi: 10.5530/ijopp.10.2.18.
9. Turkistani I et al. (2014) The prevalence of anxiety and depression among end-stage renal disease patients on hemodialysis in Saudi Arabia. Ren. Fail. 36 (10): 1510–1515.
10. Cohen SD, Cukor D, Kimmel PL (2016) Anxiety in patients treated with hemodialysis. Clin. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 11 (12): 2250 – 2255.
11. Locke AMYB, Kirst N, Shultz CG, Medical M, Arbor A (2015) Diagnosis and management of generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder in adults. Am. Fam. Physician 9 (1), 618–624.
12. Kim K, Kang GW, Woo J (2018) The quality of life of hemodialysis patients is affected not only by medical but also psychosocial factors: a canonical correlation study. J. Korean Med. Sci. 33 (14): e111–e111.
13. Rezaei Z, Jalali A, Jalali R, Khaledi-Paveh B (2018) Psychological problems as the major cause of fatigue in clients undergoing hemodialysis: A qualitative study. Int. J. Nurs. Sci. 5 (3): 262–267.
14. Da Silva SM, Braido NF, Ottaviani AC, Gesualdo GD, Zazzetta MS, Orlandi F -de S (2016) Social support of adults and elderly with chronic kidney disease on dialysis. Rev. Lat. Am. Enfermagem 24: e2752–e2752.
15. Maryam RS, Resnayati Y, Riasmini NM, Mambang Sari CW (2018) Effect of family support intervention towards quality of life with Elderly’s hypertension in community. Padjadjaran Nurs. J. 6 (3): 1-10.
16. Chandra L, Pandu W, Putranto W, Fanani M (2014) Association between hemodialysis adequacy , family support , and quality of life in chronic renal failure patients. Indones. J. Med. 2 (1): 63–72.
17. Lilympaki I, Makri A, Vlantousi K, Koutelekos I, Babatsikou F, Polikandrioti M (2016) Effect of perceived social support on the levels of anxiety and depression of hemodialysis patients. Mater. Sociomed. 28 (5): 361–365.
18. Kusuma H (2011) Universitas Indonesia Hubungan Antara Depresi Dan Dukungan Keluarga Dengan Kualitas Hidup Pasien Hiv / Aids Yang Menjalani Perawatan. Universitas Indonesia.
19. House JS (1981) Work stress and social support. Addison-Wesley Pub. Co., Reading, Mass..
20. Zung WWK (1971) A rating instrument for anxiety disorders. Psychosomatics 12 (6): 371–379.
21. Gerontoukou E-I, Michaelidoy S, Rekleiti M, Saridi M, Souliotis K (2015) Investigation of anxiety and depression in patients with chronic diseases. Heal. Psychol. Res. 3 (2): 2123.
22. Gerogianni SK, Babatsikou FP (2014) Psychological aspects in chronic renal failure. Heal. Sci. J. 8 (2): 205, 2014.
23. Theofilou P (2011) Depression and anxiety in patients with chronic renal failure: the effect of sociodemographic characteristics. Int. J. Nephrol. 2011: 514070.
24. Dantas RAS, Pelegrino VM, Garbin LM (2007) Avaliação do apoio social e sua relação com variáveis sociodemográficas de pacientes com insuficiência cardíaca em seguimento ambulatorial. Cienc Cuid Saúde 6 (4): 456–462.
25. Naing MM, Nanthamongkolchai S, Munsawaengsub C (2010) Quality of life of the elderly people in einme township irrawaddy division, Myanmar. Asia J Public Heal. 1 (2): 4–10.
26. Al Kahfi R, Rahman S, Palimbo A, Sari NN (2017) The Influence Of Family Support To Patients’anxiety Of Chronic Renal Failure Withexperience Of Hemodialysis At The Hemodialysis Unit Of Ulin Hospital Banjarmasin BT - 2nd Sari Mulia International Conference on Health and Sciences 2017 (SMICHS 2017) One Health to Address the Problem of Tropical Infectious Diseases in Indonesia.
27. De Brito TRP, Pavarini SCI. The relationship between social support and functional capacity in elderly persons with cognitive alterations. Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem 20: 677–684.
28. Dziubek W et al. (2016) The level of anxiety and depression in dialysis patients undertaking regular physical exercise training - a preliminary study. Kidney Blood Press. Res. 41 (1): 86–98.
29. Terra FdeS, Costa AMDD, De Figueiredo ET, De Morais AM, Costa MD, Costa RD (2010) Adesão ao tratamento farmacológico de uso diário de pacientes renais crônicos submetidos à hemodiáliseAdhesion of chronic renal hemodialysis patients to daily pharmacologic treatment. Rev. Soc. Bras. Clín. Méd. 8 (2): 1-8.
30. Gregoleti V, Scortegagna SA (2017) The zulliger-CS in elderly on hemodialysis and the relationship between external variables. Paidéia (Ribeirão Preto) 27: 43–50.
31. Kurella M et al. (2005) Chronic kidney disease and cognitive impairment in the elderly: The health, aging, and body composition study. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 16 (7): 2127-2133.